August 12, 2011

Hidden Path







I have walked and played along the banks of this small creek almost every summer of my life.  Why I never walked just a few hundred yards further up the creek I can't say.  Sadly all those years I had  missed the beauty surrounding the creek where this little hidden path winds through pine and aspen trees over rocks, and logs then along the creek. The creek runs into a lake I have so many childhood memories of.  Our denim quilt spread out along the bank, us kids laying  in the warm summer sun waiting for a fish to bite.  My grand kids and their cousins take our place all these years later, their poles held up with a sticks just the way we used to hold our poles.  From the other side of the lake I feel like I'm watching myself, the bank seemingly unchanged the trees a little taller.   I thought I knew the bank and creek so well but not once in all those years did I walk far enough to discover this beauty on my own.  I will cherish the evening my sister in-law Wendy led us just a little further up the bank to make sure we found the little hidden path.

No comments: