August 4, 2011

Trail to the falls





Hiking down to Cascade Falls is one of our camping traditions.  I must have hiked this trail more than 30 different years maybe more.  I have a stack of  pictures taken at the trail head, it's fun to look back and see who was there that year and how much everyone has changed and grown up.  On the front row the youngest Daxton 6 weeks and on the back row (in the cowboy hat) Uncle Vic 86.  Some years we don't all end up hiking on the same day. This is one of the biggest groups I can remember and it's not even all of us.  Even though I hike this same trail every year I never tire of the view out towards Zion the bright orange rock formations and the first glimpse of the falls.  Some years only a small amount of water flows from the giant hole in the side of the cliff, other years even before you can see the falls you can hear the roar of the rushing water.  Last year I wondered just how many more time my knees would be able to make the hike.  This year watching Uncle Vic hike all the way to the end inspired me and I hope to hike this and other trails for years and years to come.

No comments: